Thursday, January 8, 2009

Pictures

Okay, here are SOME pictures of the lighthouses I have visited. I try to get the most interesting point of view with my shots. For instance, the Whaleback Light photograph was taking while standing in a battery (for cannon fire) at Fort Constitution in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. I also always try to get some sort of foliage in the picture to add interest. I have taken all of these pictures myself. Although some may look similar to pictures taken by others (Cape Neddick, Bass Harbor) it is because there are limited angles from which these lights can be photographed.



New London Light (2005) - New London, CT.
I am not 100% positive on the indentification of this lighthouse. It could be Avery Point. In either case, it sits on private property, but it sits right next to the road, so it is easily viewable.



East Tower of the Cape Elizabeth Light (2005) - Cape Elizabeth (Portland), ME
The West Tower has been deactivated. Picture was taken at dusk while dining at the Lobster Shack (a must if you are ever in the area - a Rachel Ray $40/day spot).



Cape Neddick Light (2005) - York, ME
One of Maine's most recognizable lighthouses. Sits on an island just off the mainland. This is really the only photo angle available unless you charter a boat.



Bass Harbor (2005) - Sits inside Acadia National Park in Maine
Closed to the public. Best viewed from the water. Photo angles are limited. This was taken after taking a short trail down to the rocky ledge and then going out on the rocks.



Pemaquid Point Lighthouse (2005) - Bristol, ME
Best known as the lighthouse on the back of the Maine quarter, this lighthouse is off the beaten path, but well worth the trip. I went inside the lighthouse, but did not climb it because it was fairly crowded and the lighthouse was not that large.



Cape Forchu (2005) - Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
The second foreign lighthouse I have visited. Foggy 90% of the time.



Whaleback Light (2005) - Kittery, ME
Actually viewed from Portsmouth, New Hampshire while standing in a battery at Fort Constitution.



Holland Harbor Lighthouse (approx. 1994) - Holland, MI
One of the first lighthouses I ever visited.



Portsmouth Light (2005) - Portsmouth, NH
New Hampshire only has a few miles of coast, but its enough for two lighthouses. Portsmouth Light sits on the grounds of Fort Constitution.



Niagara River Rear Range Light (2005) - Ontario, Canada between Niagara Falls and Niagara-On-The-Lake
A second identical (Front Range) light sits a few hundred yards away, but is 15 feet shorter. One of two foreign lighthouses I have visited.





Fairport Habor (2006) - Fairport, OH
I have a picture of the complete lighthouse, but because of the lighthouse's proximity to the street, it is not a very good picture. The picture captured the telephones lines and a stop sign.





Barcelona Light (2004) - Lake Erie Shore, NY between Dunkirk, NY and Erie, PA
Not one of the prettiest or one of my favorite, but it was still an interesting find.











Fort Niagara Light (2004) - Fort Niagara north of Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY on the Niagara River
I have gone inside this lighthouse, but it was not open for climbing the day I went because of the wind.

2 comments:

christyzee said...

Nice pictures! I have not gotten to that part of the country, and now I see what I'm missing! I have gone to Fairport though (twice actually) and my husband and I walked out the breakwall to the other light as well. From that point you can get a pretty good shot of the old fairport light from across the harbor. Keep up the great pictures!

highlandwriter said...

Great photos. :-)