Friday, January 9, 2009

The Economic Impact of Lighthouses

We all know that lighthouses were built to prevent shipwrecks and save lives, but few of us have stopped to realize the economic impact of a lighthouse. Today, the impact of a lighthouse is strictly tourism, but when lighthouses were first built, they impacted the local economy through construction and later through increased traffic. A study of the economic impact that lighthouses had on the colonial and early American cities is what I intend to research for my PhD dissertation in maritime history. I am sure after I get started, my topic will expand beyond lighthouses and probably focus more on port infrastructure, but we will see how that works out. I start graduate school in the fall and my PhD will take roughly 5 - 6 years. After that, my dissertation will be reworked and published as a book (as required by most universities to obtain tenure as a professor).

I am interested in hearing thoughts on this topic and whether it would be of interest to anyone outside of the discipline of history.

1 comment:

Sandy Lake Erie said...

Wish you were working on the economic impacts of lighthouses on communities today.
This would help with restoration and preservation efforts
Sandy