Sunday, January 11, 2009

Looking Back: My Most Memorable Lighthouse Experience

My most memorable lighthouse experience came over Memorial Day weekend in 2001. I was at a low point in my life because of my divorce a year and a half earlier. I was trying to sell my house and move on, but I wasn't having much luck. My stress level had gotten to the point that I told my boss to take a hike (in more unpleasant terms) and lost my job. The only thing I had going for me was the support of my best friend Lori, whom I had known since high school some 15 years earlier. I decided to spend some time with Lori and we took a little weekend trip to Lake Erie in Pennsylvania. (Lori is originally from Pittsburgh.)


While we were in Erie, Pennsylvania, we saw three lighthouses. Presque Isle was the most interesting. It sits right on the beach, in Presque Isle State Park, but it is a private residence and not open to the public. At the time of our visit, it was also overgrown and not well cared for.

While sitting on the beach, Lori closed her eyes to enjoy the warmth of the sunshine. I began reading a poem I had written for Lori to thank her for her support and the many years of her friendship. When I finished reading the poem, I asked Lori to marry me.

My proposal took her completely off-guard, mostly because of the timing. She knew I was having a difficult time financially with selling my house and putting my divorce behind me. She didn't know that I had bought the ring before things got really tough and that I just hadn't found the right time to proposal. The experience became my most memorable when she said YES!(The poem was later printed in a book of poems we gave away as our wedding favors.)

2 comments:

christyzee said...

That's a beautiful memory, thank you for sharing. It's ironic, the picture I just posted of my daughter was also taken at the Presque Isle lighthhouse. It's times like these that also make these "landmarks" more that just a light ontop of a tower.

Mama10EE said...

That is an AWESOME memory and proposal story! You really should start feeding Patrick some "tips" on being a little more romantic (like wrapping gifts in real wrapping paper, not the store bag you brought it home in!). :)