Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Lighthouse GPS File

I must say that I have always had a knack for directions, so why I decided I needed a GPS system is beyond me. I am not sure where my general knack for directions come from - hereditary (my father is generally good with directions as well) or from my past experience as a delivery driver (some things about driving directions are universal no matter where you find yourself). Regardless, I purchased a Garmin nuvi 205w GPS and I must say I have not been entirely thrilled. Maybe the hype over the GPS systems led me to expect more than what is realistic.

As many of you know, I love visitng lighthouses, so to add all of the lighthouses in the United States to the GPS's Point of Interest (POI) database would be wonderful. With that in mind, I found a lighthouse POI listing (free) at Travel by GPS and downloaded it to my new Garmin. Needless to say, the file is not worth the time downloading.

First, many of the so-called lighthouses in the POI file are automated navigational lights at the end of piers and not actual lighthouses. One of the lighthouses listed was a Christian ministry. I have nothing against Christian ministries, but that was not exactly what I was looking for in this POI file.

Secondly, the directions in the POI file do not actually take you to the lighthouse it is suppose to. Take for instance the two lighthouses I tried to visit in Virginia using the POI file on the GPS. The first one I went to see was the Ferry Point Wharf Light (as it turns out, one of those automated pier lights) outside of Portsmouth, VA. The Garmin's directions were impeccable. They took me right to within 1000 feet of the lighthouse. The problem was I was on a gravel road in the middle of a cotton field and to get to the lighthouse I would have had to drive through the cotton field and trees that stood between the river bank and where I was located. I did not get to see the lighthouse and my trip cost about 2 hours worth of time. The next day, I attempted to visit the Tue Marshes Lighthouse outside of Gloucester, VA. After 6. some odd miles turned into 24, I found myself at the end of someone's personal property with several NO TRESPASSING! signs posted. The lighthouse was again, just beyond my view. Disgusted and disappointed, I headed home. On the way, I decided that I could build a more accurate lighthouse POI file with detailed notes. I would leave off all the lighthouses that can not be accessed by car, or make a notation that the lighthouse is only visable by boat. So I have set about this project and hope to have it complete by the end of winter. I will keep you posted on when it is complete.

No comments: